cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] code.creativecommons.org is moving to a new server - temporary commit freeze on Monday July 21.

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan Kinkade" <nkinkade AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "creative commons developers" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, webmaster <webmaster AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] code.creativecommons.org is moving to a new server - temporary commit freeze on Monday July 21.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:41:02 -0700

2008/7/18 Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade AT creativecommons.org>:
> As we continue to upgrade our servers from 32 to 64 bit systems we are
> having to shuffle some websites around.
> http://code.creativecommons.org is going to be moved to new server.
> This means that I'll have to disable writing to the old git and
> subversion repositories on a6.creativecommons.org while DNS converges.
>
> I propose to disable writes on a6.creativecommons.org this coming
> Monday morning (~ 10AM PDT) and then change code.creativecommons.org
> to point to a7.creativecommons.org. This means that many people will
> be unable to commit to code.creativecommons.org until their DNS
> servers pick up the changed DNS settings. Alternatively, you could
> make a temporary entry in your hosts file with something like this:
>
> 64.34.161.33 code.creativecommons.org
>
> It would be possible to hack up Netfilter to forward git traffic, but
> subversion operates through port 22 (SSH) and this can't be
> redirected.
>
> If anyone knows of a better way to move our git and subversion
> repositories to a new server seamlessly, then by all means reply to me
> and/or the list. Likewise, feel free to write with any concerns or
> suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan (Kinkade)

I made the proposed changes this morning and everything seems to be
working fine. Thanks to Asheesh for dropping the DNS TTL to a very
low number this weekend to speed up DNS convergence.

Everyone will probably (hopefully!) get warnings from SSH that the key
of the remote host has changed, which it has. The fingerprints for
the new server are:

RSA key: f3:a1:9e:6e:8d:fc:33:5c:b7:0c:ee:8a:f9:88:c2:ab
DSA key: 1e:c3:45:7c:d6:60:c4:24:4c:a7:a6:47:03:1b:51:91

Any problems or question then definitely let me know right away.

Thanks,

Nathan