cc-devel - [cc-devel] code.creativecommons.org is moving to a new server - temporary commit freeze on Monday July 21.

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan Kinkade" <nkinkade AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "creative commons developers" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, webmaster <webmaster AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [cc-devel] code.creativecommons.org is moving to a new server - temporary commit freeze on Monday July 21.
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:21:50 -0700

As we continue to upgrade our servers from 32 to 64 bit systems we are
having to shuffle some websites around.
http://code.creativecommons.org is going to be moved to new server.
This means that I'll have to disable writing to the old git and
subversion repositories on a6.creativecommons.org while DNS converges.

I propose to disable writes on a6.creativecommons.org this coming
Monday morning (~ 10AM PDT) and then change code.creativecommons.org
to point to a7.creativecommons.org. This means that many people will
be unable to commit to code.creativecommons.org until their DNS
servers pick up the changed DNS settings. Alternatively, you could
make a temporary entry in your hosts file with something like this:

64.34.161.33 code.creativecommons.org

It would be possible to hack up Netfilter to forward git traffic, but
subversion operates through port 22 (SSH) and this can't be
redirected.

If anyone knows of a better way to move our git and subversion
repositories to a new server seamlessly, then by all means reply to me
and/or the list. Likewise, feel free to write with any concerns or
suggestions.

Thanks,

Nathan (Kinkade)