cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Enriching license RDF files with icon information

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Enriching license RDF files with icon information
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:20:51 -0700

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Asheesh Laroia
> <asheesh AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
>> In making the liblicense RDF files most useful to developers, one easy
>> thing that occurred to me to do would be to store a link to the license
>> buttons for that license.
>>
>> That way, a user of liblicense, upon discovering that
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/ is a real license, could
>> ask, "What is the small button that I show?" and get back a useful answer.
>>
>> Is this totally moronic? If it is, can we provide it some other easy way?
>
> Seems like a great idea to me.
>
> Of course there's more than one way to model it (no impact on the
> liblicense API).

+1; and I think we should model it in such a way that we can also
attach icons to the license prohibitions/requirements/etc in a way
that encourages re-use. For example, cc:Requires -> cc:Attribution
could use the same attribute to point to the "person" icon.

I'll write up the task in Teamspace, probably deferred until post-OSCON.

NRY