cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense packages for Ubuntu and Debian

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Greg Grossmeier <greg.grossmeier AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense packages for Ubuntu and Debian
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Jon Phillips wrote:

This is awesome Asheesh! What is the latest on fedora as well? Anyone out there tinkering with liblicense at all? Would be good to bring Greg in to help test, promote, do some bug triaging on liblicense :)

Dennis Gilmore has been working with me today to make sure the liblicense Fedora packages are of top Fedora quality. He's going to be testing them on a few more architectures, and then he'll sponsor the packages, which starts the ball really rolling downhill in the process of getting the package actually into Fedora. (And I've been learning a lot about Fedora in this process....)

More than just bug triaging, I'd love to hear back from people who are actually using liblicense, or considering it. I recall KDE discussion nearly a year ago, and every once in a while I hear a ping from them - I'd be happy to talk more.

As far as testing, we're in this weird situation of having a library but no real users for it yet. The best thing to do is to imagine more applications of the library and start sliding it into place. (-:

The Nautilus extensions that were written last summer are my next target to put into distributions, and then I'll finish up the EOG and Rhythmbox plugins. Those would be good demos, but obviously I'd love to hear about other ideas too!

-- Asheesh.

--
He had occasional flashes of silence that made his conversation perfectly
delightful.