cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Google Summer of Code "Adding License Verification to Amarok" (fwd)

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Seb Ruiz <ruiz AT kde.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, samneubardt AT gmail.com, amarok-devel AT kde.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Google Summer of Code "Adding License Verification to Amarok" (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:37:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Seb Ruiz wrote:

2008/4/22 Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org>:
Hi Nikolaj,

Thanks for the detailed analysis and information. You're of course
right; we should have contacted the Amarok developers before accepting
the proposal, so my sincere apologies for that gross oversight. We're
definitely fans of Amarok -- both generally and the Magnatune/Jamendo
integration in particular, so we were excited about the idea of seeing
CC license support included in the library. Our previous experience
with a student working on Banshee support was generally positive
(although the code wound up not being included for a variety of
reasons) so I think I personally made some assumptions that were
obviously incorrect. I apologize for any frustration that caused on
your side.

Do you have a good feeling about whether it'd be possible to add
support to Amarok 2 for CC licenses? I've cc'd Sam, the student who
submitted this application. Sam, what contact with the Amarok
community have you had? With the codebase? I'd love to see this
project happen but realize that I should have done my homework.

We're all big fans of CC licenses, and would obviously like to promote
free music however we can, so you won't find much resistance in terms
of the concept from the Amarok developers (I don't think).
Implementation and integration, however, is a more fickle topic which
we would need to spend time going over.

Awesome. I hope you keep the cc-devel list in the CC: line. I, for one, am going to take this time to join the amarok-devel mailing list.

I'm the assigned mentor for the project. Depending on how Nathan and the student feels and how you guys feel, we could perhaps talk to GSoC to transfer him to you if he'll work on the same sort of stuff. (This is not an offer to do so; it's just me mentioning that it may be possible.)

I'll also be hanging out in #amarok as paulproteus. My apologies, too, about not contacting you guys.

-- Asheesh.

--
A possum must be himself, and being himself he is honest.
-- Walt Kelly