cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] exempi + liblicense into desktop and distros

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • Cc: creative commons developers <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Hubert Figuiere <hub AT figuiere.net>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] exempi + liblicense into desktop and distros
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Jon Phillips wrote:

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 15:23 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 12:13 -0700, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 15:42 +0900, Jon Phillips wrote:
Ah, back to the open public lists...

I'm curious Hubert, if you have exempi included into any apps? And,
what distros exempi is included in?

http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/wiki/Exempi

Have you had any luck with that and getting it into the core of the
desktop?

suse 11 already build Nautilus and EOG against exempi. I know that
Debian has exempi too.

As NY said, I'm also working on a liblicense package for Debian. From
there it would flow (ooze? spill?) into Ubuntu and other Debian
derivatives.

This question that Jon asked was actually one of the first questions I got
at my GNOME Summit presentation.

I think that if you really want to have it adopted in, eg. Gnome, you have to write a patch to Nautilus (or an extension) to show the CC licensing info if available. (I'd rather do a patch)

We have that patch...Asheesh/Scott, I've totally lost track of our nautilus + liblicense/exempi integration...I want to get this into Gnome bad...if not, I will be a failure 2.0 :)

What we have is actually a Nautilus Python extension. I want to get the packages into Debian first, and then I'll sanity-check and push the Nautilus Python stuff again. (-:

-- Asheesh.

--
"Let every man teach his son, teach his daughter, that labor is honorable."
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

  • Re: [cc-devel] exempi + liblicense into desktop and distros, Asheesh Laroia, 04/21/2008