cc-devel - [cc-devel] desktop search integration

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Alejandro Andres" <fuzzy.alej AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] desktop search integration
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 17:26:59 +0100

Hi!
I've contacted you (mostly nathan) due to spotlight integration with CC. I've been looking into it and seems feasible (though I don't have much idea about it). I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I'll be writting the proposal today even though I didn't have much time to dive into it.

My aim is to use liblicense to extract info about the license and fill kMDItemCopyright and kMDItemRights in the metadata database so spotlight is able to use them directly. That is the "direct" method, but i don't know if it's possible (modifying the metadata of existing file types). This would allow the "ideal" state of beign able to search by license type

The "indirect" way would be nathan's idea of making some kind of hook that other indexers would call so it helps with reading licenses

--
Alejandro "alej" Andres
#81 Salamanca Toros
http://www.salamancatoros.com/