cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] exempi + liblicense into desktop and distros

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Jon Phillips" <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Hubert Figuière <hub AT figuiere.net>, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] exempi + liblicense into desktop and distros
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 04:26:50 -0700

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
wrote:
> Ah, back to the open public lists...
>
> I'm curious Hubert, if you have exempi included into any apps? And, what
> distros exempi is included in?
>
> http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/wiki/Exempi
>
> Have you had any luck with that and getting it into the core of the
> desktop?
>
> I'm trying to do an assessment of what needs to be done to get
> liblicense into gnome and possibly some other targets apps so that it is
> a default library on the major open source/free software desktops...
>
> http://creativecommons.org/projects/liblicense
>
> For those of you late to the party, liblicense is: Low-level license
> metadata integration for applications.
>
> The roadmap hasn't been updated in a while, but Asheesh/Nathan have been
> working on it...
>
> One of my goals is to get it into KDE and Gnome and major distros by
> default: ubuntu, fedora, suse, gentoo (ok, that is not as high a
> priority, but what I use...no lashing out at me on that one ;)
>
> Before we discussed good target apps for liblicense integration
> including miro, eye of gnome...are there other low hanging fruit ones to
> add, and/or how can we encourage integration as part of google summer of
> code?

Not to be a stickler, but isn't asking for app integration suggestions
the same as discussing targets for integration? ;)

We really have a chicken + egg problem: distros may be uninterested in
bundling liblicense without a demonstrated need (ie, something
depending on it). Developers may be reluctant to accept a patch that
adds a dependency that's not available anywhere (I would be). So
we're currently pursuing a two pronged approach: inclusion in at least
one high level distro, patches for existing apps.

Asheesh has tasks in his work queue related to developing patches for
something like EoG; once we have that in place (or as that's
developing), I think we'll probably target Debian first -- if nothing
else their inclusion process is well defined, so we know exactly how
to get the package in.

NRY