cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Retooling liblicense to support more metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Retooling liblicense to support more metadata
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:11:10 +1100

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 13:59 -0800, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Looking at the I/O modules for liblicense, they only expose readers and
> writers for one piece of metadata: the license the file is under.
> Admittedly, most formats only (and hardly, you could say) support that;
> but I want to add support for embedding more metadata

I agree this support is missing.

For my Iconology project
(http://miller.emu.id.au/cgi-bin/icomp-cgi/iconology/) which is driven
with my Icon Compositor project
(http://icon-compositor.sourceforge.net/) I want to be able
to enumerate the constituent copyright holders for compound images. To
see what I mean, take a look at

http://miller.emu.id.au/cgi-bin/icomp-cgi/iconology/?q=doc&s=sci-fy-by-rhandros-dembicki/folder-builder.icomp&t=abyssinian/cat_abyssinian_03.txt

There are three copyright holders in this example, (1) the anonymous
abysinnian cat photo, Rhandos for his note book image, and myself for
the script which glues the two of them together. Plus, of course, the
license on the final image.

I would be *really* nice to be able to embed *all* of this information
in the resulting PNG file. So, yes, I think that the API would benefit
from being broader than just the license.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\* http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53 2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell." -- Aldous Huxley