cc-devel - [cc-devel] Retooling liblicense to support more metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Retooling liblicense to support more metadata
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:59:53 -0800 (PST)

Looking at the I/O modules for liblicense, they only expose readers and writers for one piece of metadata: the license the file is under. Admittedly, most formats only (and hardly, you could say) support that; but I want to add support for embedding more metadata, right now the Web Statement URL, to make verifying CC licenses easier.

Jason, since you architected the I/O modules, I'd love to hear your thoughts in particular.

I'm leaning toward extending the _write() and _read() functions to take three arguments:

const char * filename, const char * predicate, const char * value

("value" would only be an argument to write.)

That way, we can flexibly add support for more metadata attributes in liblicense as we need them.

What are y'all's thoughts?

-- Asheesh.

--
TOO BAD YOU CAN'T BUY a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin
real fast and freak everybody out.