cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense: some questions

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
  • To: Scott Shawcroft <scott.shawcroft AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense: some questions
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:08:12 +1000

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 08:07 -0700, Scott Shawcroft wrote:
> Peter,
> Awesome! What file format would the icons be in?

raster images: png (etc) for this project.
See http://icon-compositor.sourceforge.net/ for a pre-alpha preview.

There is no reason the same thing can't be done with svg too, that just
isn't the itch I'm scratching.

> Peter Miller wrote:
> > I'm currently working on a program to perform command line (or scripted)
> > manipulations of icons, including composition. I'd like to track
> > license terms through all of the manipulations, to be able to state the
> > license terms of the derived work.

> How would a combining function work? Depending on the use, you could
> write a function which utilizes the license chooser by combining the
> attributes of two licenses.

The use case is where I have grabbed two icons from the Internet, each
with its own set of rights and restrictions, and smooshed them together
in some way (e.g. stacked on top of the other) to create an image which
is a derived work of the two input images. I'd like the icon compositor
to be able to figure out the resulting rights and restrictions, combined
with my own (the default) license preferences, and write an accurate
license file.

I want it to be automatic, no popping up dialogues to ask questions.
The idea is to be able to script everything.

I imaging using the output file to be able to write an HTML page
containing the icon and text of its license, so satisfy my attribution
obligations. Or to even work out whether I can post the image at all on
my web site (if it turns out to be no derivative works) -- and write a
rsync exclude file to automate this.

Another tool I will put in the package with icomp is an icon "patch
generator" tool, so that you can provide a link to a "no distributing
derivative works" image, plus some mask and overlay images, plus an
icomp script, to allow others to create derivative works without
breaching the original image's license terms... kind of like open source
software which prohibits distributing derived works, but allows patches
to be distributed.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\* http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53 2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"He who hasn't hacked assembly language as a youth has no heart.
He who does as an adult has no brain." -- John Moore