cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] liblicense: some questions

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Scott Shawcroft <scott.shawcroft AT gmail.com>
  • To: Peter Miller <millerp AT canb.auug.org.au>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] liblicense: some questions
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:07:27 -0700

Peter,
Awesome! What file format would the icons be in?

Peter Miller wrote:
> I'm currently working on a program to perform command line (or scripted)
> manipulations of icons, including composition. I'd like to track
> license terms through all of the manipulations, to be able to state the
> license terms of the derived work.
>
> As far as I can see, liblicense is pretty close to what I need.
>
> Would you guys like some more implementation assistance?
> [Who am I: see the url at bottom of this email.]

We'd love to get patches from you.
> When I read the code, it's clear that lots and lots of Doxygen
> documentation would help, and once I've read the code to figure out what
> the heck it does, I may as well document that in the relevant .h files.
> And some man pages. Would you like this as a contribution?

Documentation would be great. The bit we've written is on the wiki at
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Liblicense#Interface.
> I'd particularly like a license "combining" function in the C interface.
> Would you like this as a contribution? Any implementation issues I need
> to be aware of?

How would a combining function work? Depending on the use, you could
write a function which utilizes the license chooser by combining the
attributes of two licenses.

Thanks for you interest!
~Scott