cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Media Hosting Wishlist

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net" <cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net>, "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>, Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Media Hosting Wishlist
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:18:58 -0700

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:23 -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Also, one sore point I've heard a lot lately is that many people who share
> their work under CC licenses don't make it clear how they should be
> attributed. For example:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ has the text,
> "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
> licensor"
>
> Well, what's the name to use for this photographer? "Joi"? "joi@flickr"?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/people/joi/ has the text, "About Joi / Joi Ito".
>
> Which is the one formally specified for attributors to use?

It isn't formally specified in this (or most) cases. Not deployed much
yet, but there is the option to annotate your license notice to specify
the URL and name to be used for attribution, you can generate such a
statement at

http://labs.creativecommons.org/dhtmllicense/

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer