cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Media Hosting Wishlist

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Asheesh Laroia <asheesh AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net" <cctools-cchost AT lists.sourceforge.net>, "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Media Hosting Wishlist
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:37:21 -0700

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:23 -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > Heya, Mike and I have been working up this document as a best
> > practice/wishlist of media hosting features a site should have at this
> > point in time to best support Creative Commons licensing.
>
> Looks pretty good to me, but of course web app authors should take a
> closer look too. We should get ccHost up to this point. (-;

Agree...and is one of the ideas on the table. What would be great is to
have the item, and then examples of adopters to help sell the
point...yes, we should aim to get ccHost to have all these wishlist
items so we can point any new arcane items to ccmixter.org, or
openclipart.org

> Also, one sore point I've heard a lot lately is that many people who share
> their work under CC licenses don't make it clear how they should be
> attributed. For example:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ has the text,
> "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
> licensor"
>
> Well, what's the name to use for this photographer? "Joi"? "joi@flickr"?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/people/joi/ has the text, "About Joi / Joi Ito".
>
> Which is the one formally specified for attributors to use?
>
> -- Asheesh.

Good, question, and the CC answer to this point is to be clear how you
want people to attribute your work, which is similar for the response of
how to define noncommercial ;)

Jon

--
Jon Phillips