cc-devel - [cc-devel] SoC Proposal Draft: "Including RDFa support in Nutch: Updating the CCNutch plug-in"

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Alan Kelon Oliveira de Moraes" <akom AT cin.ufpe.br>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] SoC Proposal Draft: "Including RDFa support in Nutch: Updating the CCNutch plug-in"
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 03:28:18 -0300 (BRT)

Hy, folks!

Here goes my draft proposal.

Including RDFa support in Nutch: Updating the CCNutch plug-in

Proponent: Alan Kelon Oliveira de Moraes <akom at cin.ufpe.br>

Summary
Project proposal
Development process
Deliverables
Major milestones
Past open source projects
Resume
Final self-advocacy

Project proposal
================

RDFa is a syntax that expresses semantic in structured data using a set
of elements and attributes that embed RDF in HTML, such as a license on
a document or a photo's creator name, camera setting information and its
resolution.

Nutch is an open-source search engine that uses Lucene for searching the
Web or in a customized form for an intranet or subset of the Web.
CCNutch is a plug-in for Nutch to search Creative Commons content.
Currently, CCNutch indexes only text documents and do not support very
well RDFa. The inclusion of RDFa could be a great improvement because
we could easily index image, audio and video through their RDFa meta-data
and search them, increasing our range of searchable artifacts available
under creative licenses, so enabling RDFa parsing and indexing in (CC)Nutch
should enable better structured search and sharing of artifacts.

I played only a few days with Nutch and CCNuth code base. I admit that it
was not enough to be an expert on them, but they do not seem to be very
hard to extend. The first step is to add RDFa content into Nutch indexes.
I think I could use – and extend whenever necessary – the RDFa extractor
(http://sw-app.org/dev/RDFaExtractorCore.java), a Java implementation to
extract RDFa information, and drop the current parsing implementation of
CCNuth. I need more research to better evaluate this choice. Elias Torres
developed an RDFa parser and its test suit
(http://dev.torrez.us/public/2006/rdfa/)
for Python language which may help too. These two implementations will
speed up the things and learning of RDFa technology.

The second step is to add specific query facilities to the web interface
to enable searching of multimedia content by kind (images, audio and/or
video)
with different licensing restrictions.

Development process
-------------------

I will follow the core of Hukarz Software Development Process, a process
to Open Source Software Factories (see my resume below) proposed in my M.Sc.
degree. Hukarz is based on Scrum, so it is iterative and incremental like
most OSS projects, and there are some additions to pure Scrum, such as the
use of Software Configuration Management and Project Management disciplines.
Each sprint – an iteration in Scrum jargon – is a small increment of the
software that contains a little of planning at its beginning, the development
itself (design, coding and testing), and a release at its end. Each spring
will have 15 days to better track progress, to share and to discuss the
software evolution with the community. Of course, I will host the project
on code@google from the beginning, thus the code will be readily available
for review.

To further track my progress, I plan to write a little project status to
cc-devel mailing list on a weekly basis as well to contact the assigned
mentor more frequently. I will also set up a blog to write about random
thoughts, progress, and difficulties faced during the development.

Deliverables
------------

These are the artifacts I will deliver during the summer:
* Requirements document: details, in a high-level abstraction level,
the features to be implemented;
* Architecture document: contains the technical solution to implement
the defined requirements;
* Project plan: a high-level plan of the development, including a
scheduling (see Major milestones below) and risk assessment;
* Sprint plan: for each iteration, a 15-day planning identifying the
week milestones will be made to guide the implementation;
* Update the CCNutch wiki page (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcNutch);
* A Patch to Nutch community with RDFa support in CCNutch plugin;
* A Patch to RDFa extractor if necessary.

Major milestones
----------------

* March 26: Project proposal;
* April 11: Google announces the list of accepted student projects;

* April 19: Draft version of requirements document (this document will
be updated when necessary);
* April 27: Draft version of Architecture document (this document will
be updated when necessary);

* May 28: Project and mentoring start;
* June 11: 1st release:
* Requirements document;
* Architecture document;
* Prototype for proof-of-concepts;
* June 25: 2nd release:
* Alpha release 1: indexing RDFa documents;
* July 9: 3rd release:
* Alpha release 2: finish of RDFa indexing and start of RDFa
searching;
* Google’s mid-term checkpoint;

* July 16:
* Mid-term mentor evaluation deadline;
* Revised documentation (really close to final I expect);
* July 23: 4th release:
* Beta release 1: Search RDFa indexes;
* August 6: 5th release:
* Beta release 2;
* August 20: 6th (final) release;
* Google’s final checkpoint;

* August 31: Final mentor evaluation deadline.

... To see my experience with Open Source, please check
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~akom/soc07-proposal/soc07-proposal.txt (or
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/~akom/soc07-proposal/soc07-proposal.pdf for a fancy
version ;)

Best regards,
--
Alan Kelon Oliveira de Moraes, M.Sc.
Ph.D. Candidate in Computer Science

"O Sertanejo é, antes de tudo, um forte" (Euclides da Cunha)