cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007 Application

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT rejon.org>
  • To: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org, Louis Suarez-Potts <luispo AT gmail.com>, Cassio Melo <cassio.ufpe AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007 Application
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:53:20 -0700

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 11:17 -0400, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Cassio Melo <cassio.ufpe AT gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I planning to submit an application for Google Summer of Code 2007 but
> > before that I'd like to hear from you some opinions about my ideas:
> >
> > - An OpenOffice Writer add-on for publishing and searching CC licensed
> > documents;
>
> I haven't thought much about integrating search, but an OpenOffice.org
> implementation of what the Microsoft Office Addin
> (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Microsoft_Office_Addin) does would be
> killer. Some additional thoughts on how it might work are available
> at http://wiki.creativecommons.org/OpenOfficeOrg_Addin.
>
> > - A Google Desktop plugin for searching CC licensed content
>
> That could be interesting; are you thinking about searching the user's
> hard drive for CC licensed content or providing a web search interface
> for searching CC licensed content? In the former case, have you
> thought much about how to handle the different file formats?
>
> Thanks for your interest; looking forward to your application,
>
> Nathan

Hi Cassio, yes, I think both of these sound interesting. In particular,
the OO.o plugin that would be for all OO.o would be brilliant. I think
of major importance is how to specifically add this support to OO.o.

I think there is the plug-in level support and also seeing how a
contribution could be added to OO.o so that it ships as default in OO.o.

Anyhow, I'm cc'ing OO.o's community manager, who can comment on this
add-in some more and hopefully help you shape your application.

Louis, we are taking the approach this year to add CC support to key
applications in FLOSS. Please assist :)

Jon

--
Jon Phillips