cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Improved Python wrapper library

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: "Paul Scott" <pscott AT uwc.ac.za>
  • Cc: "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Improved Python wrapper library
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 07:50:45 -0500

On 3/9/07, Paul Scott <pscott AT uwc.ac.za> wrote:

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 14:58 -0500, Nathan R. Yergler wrote:
> There's not even a Python implementation of the code described by that
> document; it's purely vapor at this point. That said, a PHP
> implementation would be great. I don't have the PHP skillz to say if
> this is the right sort of API for PHP. I tried to make it "Pythonic"
> so it'd be natural to use in all of our existing Python projects.

OK, no worries. I can work the PHP around just about any style of API.
It wouldn't be the first time that I have adapted a Python project to
PHP! :)

> Do you know what sort of testing support PHP has? One thing I really
> want for the Python version is a full test suite (hence writing the
> docs/tests first). I think that'd probably be desirable for a PHP
> implementation, too.

PHP5 has decent support for Unit tests and automatic API doc generation
etc. It is a little difficult to get going, but I do already have a test
server for PHP that runs automated testing for me. It would just mean
adding an additional test suite to that.

Great; are there some docs on getting that going? I'm just curious
how it works. If you're thinking about implementing a similar API in
PHP, you might want to look at the current API docs
(http://api.creativecommons.org), as they provide some information
about how we currently do things. Note that in the existing case and
the new, proposed API, we'll just be wrapping an XSLT processor using
the XSLT in the license_xsl Subversion module
(http://cctools.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cctools/license_xsl).

--Paul

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer
http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm