cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] Exif is dead, long live XMP

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "B.K. DeLong" <bkdelong AT pobox.com>
  • To: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>, "cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] Exif is dead, long live XMP
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:40:34 -0400

At 02:21 PM 8/24/2006, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
I'm thinking that because embedded video metadata practically does not
exist (note "practically") that rather than attempting to come up with
specs for CC embedding in every video format we help come up with specs
for XMP embedding in every format.

Funny you mention that - I was looking into doing just that while I was at MIT with the incredible library of metadata we collected for the OpenCourseWare project. It should be possible to embed XMP into JPGs, TIFFs, GIFs, PNGs, and PDFs. It would be nice to be able to do the same, because of the XML/RDF format, in audio files but an XSLT should be able to convert ID3v2 data into what is needed after extracting it from the file.

We were just getting into video when I left so I didn't delve much into XMP in RM and QT but I'm sure since they both have the space for captioning that metadata shouldn't be TOO challenging.

--
B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong AT pobox.com

http://www.wkdelong.org Son.
http://www.haloworldwide.com Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org Volunteer.
http://www.brain-stream.com Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5 A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org