cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [cc-metadata] Exif metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Luis Villa" <luis AT tieguy.org>
  • To: "Luke Hoersten" <luke.hoersten AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: CC Developer Mailing List <cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org>, CC Metadata Mailing List <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [cc-metadata] Exif metadata
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:07:57 -0400

On 8/20/06, Luke Hoersten <luke.hoersten AT gmail.com> wrote:
GPL verification is done in a much more casual way than the
CC licenses and some people don't even notice they do it, but, a need
for verification still exists.

For what it is worth, even the uber-paranoid lawyers at Sun and Novell
did not require us to verify the source of GPL'd code we used in
company products, as long as the GPL was correctly included in the
source we were using. The only time we ever had to verify that I can
recall were when the included copyright information was in some way
non-standard or unclear. Verification certainly isn't a bad option to
provide, and if a standard API could make verification automatic, that
would certainly be a good thing, but the GPL community has done fine
without any verification, so it seems to me that saying there is a
'need' is a bit strong.

Luis