cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] [cc-metadata] Exif metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Nathan R. Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] [cc-metadata] Exif metadata
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 09:33:04 -0400

> However, an alternative is to make embedded metadata less machine
> readable. The "Copyright" field could include a sentence along the
> lines of those discussed on this list long ago, like
>
> Copyright 2006 Joe Smith licensed to the public under
> http://creativecomons.org/licenses/by/2.5/ verify at
> http://example.com/mypcituressuck.html
>
> And any program that wants to make sense of that (and in other
> languages) is more than welcome to. And someone can leave out any part
> if they so wish.

Its probably worth noting that this was our MP3 embedding scheme for a
while, back when we only used the TCOP ID3 tag for the copyright
statement. Assuming you make it a "specification" (i.e., this is the
text you use, these parts are optional), we were able to split out the
bits we were interested in with tools like ccLookup just fine.

It's worth noting that the EXIF 2.2 spec gives specific format
information for the copyright field, and it looks somewhat similar to
what Mike quoted above. Perhaps using what they suggest, with the
license/metadata URI appended? See page 29 of the spec
(http://exif.org/specifications.html).

--
Nathan R. Yergler
Senior Software Engineer