cc-devel - [cc-devel] Exif metadata

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Rob Litzke" <robert.litzke AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-devel] Exif metadata
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:18:34 -0400

Hi,

I'm working on the Exif-writing Summer of Code project for ccPublisher. I'm at the stage of trying to figure out how exactly to include this information in the metadata. This seems to be where other people are ( https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-devel/2006-August/000167.html ) as well.

There are tags for most of the information we want to include ( ImageDescription, Artist, and Copyright), or 0x010E, 0x013B, and 0x8298, respectively. I think it makes the most sense to include title and artist in their own tags and just use copyright to link to the appropriate license. Perhaps also using the XP-specific tags could be useful, but since they aren't part of the specifications, I don't think they should contain information not in standard tags. I'll try to include all of these in the ccPublisher Exif writer.

I don't, however, think that using the Comment tag (0x9286), is a good idea. Software sometimes overwrites this, and I think it should be kept clear strictly for comments. After all, there is a specific tag just for copyright.

Let me know what your thoughts are - we definitely need a unified approach so that different Creative Commons software will interact at the same level.

Yours,

Robert Litzke