cc-devel - Re: [cc-devel] SoC progress report

cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Developer discussion for Creative Commons technology and tools

  • From: "Bruno Dilly" <bruno.dilly AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-devel AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-devel] SoC progress report
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:52:14 -0300

I don't think I have time to extend the API for uploads before SoC
deadline, but I can do it later. I'll continue developing CC tools.

Really I'm reading the entire file into memory before writing into the
socket. I don't know how I could do it better, I will study this
point.

I'm appreciating all these suggestions and discussion.

Thanks,

Bruno

On 8/11/06, Nathan R. Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with pythons http lib so I don't know how efficient
> that is, I know that the PHP Snoopy lib that we use would read the
> *entire* file into memory before writing into the socket which may
> just work in most cases but hurts my old fashioned sensibilities.

Python's httplib by default would do something similar to this.
However, we're going to be moving to Twisted for the FTP stuff in
ccPublisher, so we'll have access to its full suite of network classes,
which include support for efficient streaming from point a to b (ie,
read X bytes from the disk, send it to the socket, repeat).

I'd say if you make it "right" using Python's built-in httplib now, we
can worry about making it "fast" later.

--
Nathan R. Yergler
Senior Software Engineer