cc-au - Re: [cc-au] clip art

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Brianna Laugher" <brianna.laugher AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] clip art
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:13:01 +1100

2008/11/11 Timothy Cotsford <tcotsford AT acpe.edu.au>:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I'm wanting to use some clip art graphics for a web document I'm putting
> together. It'll be for the use of our students, sitting on our Intranet.
> I'm unsure as to the copyright issues surrounding clip art, is some of it
> (eg the Microsoft sourced stuff) free? Does the fact that it is for
> internal use make any difference?

Microsoft's advice on this matter is here:
<http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/permissions/default.mspx#E4>

But, if you want to be sure....
There is an excellent project called the Open ClipArt Library
<http://openclipart.org/>. Everything in it has been dedicated to the
public domain, ie "no rights reserved". (<http://www.clker.com/> is a
mirror of openclipart.org with a much better search interface. You
might prefer to use that for searching.)

There is also a large amount of clip-art at Wikimedia Commons. e.g.
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Clip_art> The license on
images at Wikimedia Commons varies - they will likely be public
domain, CC-BY, CC-BY-SA or GFDL. Some icon sets are also LGPL or GPL.
The upshot is, all of these conditions allow for any use, provided
other terms are met (such as attributing the author, linking to the
license so that your readers know they also can use it freely). If all
that sounds fairly difficult then just stick to the public domain ones
-- can't go wrong there.

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/