cc-au - Re: [cc-au] podcasts

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jessica Coates <j2.coates AT qut.edu.au>
  • To: "cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] podcasts
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 15:13:06 +1000

Hi Tim

This isn't legal advice, but as I understand it amendments were made to the
Copyright Act recently to extend the schools licence for broadcasts to
include podcasts that are just copies of broadcasts (eg podcasts of Radio
National shows). However, it doesn't cover 'free standing' podcasts - ie
podcasts that were made independently and have never been a broadcast.

Have you checked the licence on the website the podcast is available from?
Lots of sites let material be used for non-commercial or educational purposes.

Or you can always go to the podcaster and ask their permission - this is
always the easiest way if you have any doubt.

There's a good fact sheet on use of podcasts by educational institutions
here: http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/guidelines/info_using.html. Actually,
the Smartcopy website is a great place to go for any copyright questions for
educational institutions.

Jessica Coates
Project Manager
Creative Commons Clinic