cc-au - Re: [cc-au] copyright council

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Derek Whitehead" <DWhitehead AT groupwise.swin.edu.au>
  • To: "cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: LSIMES AT nla.gov.au
  • Subject: Re: [cc-au] copyright council
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:19:22 +1100

Hi everyone

Although the ACC is the largest provider of copyright training in our sphere,
there is a lot of training around. Copyright officers at universities, for
example, spend big chunks of time developing training materials and training
people.

The Australian Digital Alliance has recently had a board meeting and AGM, and
is considering putting together information on its site about training
opportunities, to encourage diversity of approaches in training. It is also
important that training emphasise the needs and interests of the copyright
user, as well as the copyright owner. Check out the ADA website too -
http://www.digital.org.au - your advocate for balanced copyright, active for
almost a decade.

cheers

Derek

Derek Whitehead
Director, Information Resources and University Copyright Officer
Swinburne University of Technology
tel. (03) 9214 8333

Vice President, Australian Library and Information Association

>>> Rachel Cobcroft <rachel AT creativecommons.org.au> 11/3/08 13:11 >>>
This discussion is valuable - often librarians and other information
professionals are introduced to copyright through these channels.
The training sessions are heavily advertised in inserts to the professional
magazines, such as the Australian Library and Information Association
(ALIA)'s inCite (http://www.alia.org.au/publishing/incite/).
Fortunately, the library sector is also a strong advocate of fair
use/dealing, with provisions and policies being heavily debated in the
blogosphere. (See http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/, for one, and then the
implementation at http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8056)
We still have to be vigilant though, to ensure that the balanced perspective
endures :-)

On 11/03/2008, Jamison Young <jam AT jamyoung.net<mailto:jam AT jamyoung.net>>
wrote:
> > == Australian Copyright Council "copyright training" sessions ==
> > <http://www.copyright.org.au/training/training-2008/training2008.htm>
> > These courses are held in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth,
> > Melbourne, Sydney.

Best,
Rachel

Research Officer
Creative Commons Clinic
Queensland University of Technology
ph: +61 (0)7 3138 9593
fax: +61 (0)7 3138 9395
email: rachel AT creativecommons.org.au<mailto:rachel AT creativecommons.org.au>

-----
Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the
use of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or
protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any
dissemination, distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited.
The University does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are
secure and there is also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It
is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses or defects before
opening them. If you have received this transmission in error, please contact
us on +61 3 9214 8000 and delete it immediately from your system. We do not
accept liability in connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay,
interruption, unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.