cc-au - [cc-au] copyright council

cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jamison Young <jam AT jamyoung.net>
  • To: cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-au] copyright council
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 20:37:47 +0100

== Australian Copyright Council "copyright training" sessions ==
<http://www.copyright.org.au/training/training-2008/training2008.htm>
These courses are held in Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Perth,
Melbourne, Sydney.

Keep in mind that Brett Cottle chief executive of APRA is on the board of the copyright council.
http://www.copyright.org.au/about/board.htm

APRA represent the rights of the major publishers via way of the voting structure they have in place. For every 500 dollars that an artist or publisher collect they receive an extra vote. My view is that none of the people on the board of the copyright council (meaning the organizations that those on the board represent when they make a vote) stand to gain from more art being distributed under any creative commons license. I have not checked out what was written this year, yet what i read last year was extremely negative about CC.

Its worth checking out what the copyright council say about creative commons prior to paying some dollars out to hear what the copyright council have ready to serve you up.
http://www.copyright.org.au/search?SearchableText=creative+commons

The copyright council is funded through the arts council, most automatically form the view therefore that this organization is here to represent the interests of artists. My view is that like APRA the copyright council is another front for the publishing industry.

Not sure why CC.au is asking people on this list to pay? Is CC.au funded through the some source?

best,
Jamison

http://www.optapra.net
http://www.myspace.com/optoutofapra