cc-at - [CC-at] help defend a cc license??

cc-at AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Jamison Young" <jam AT jamyoung.net>
  • To: cc-at AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [CC-at] help defend a cc license??
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 02:43:36 +1000

Hi CC Austria mailing list,

Today I got the mail bellow from AKM...

recently I signed a non-exclusive contract with ASCAP for the use of my songs as a song got used in a film. I figured that it was best to collect for the use of the song rather than give the proceeds to the publishers and the larger artists.

If i had signed an exclusive contract with ASCAP, i would understand that i could not issue a CC licenses, just as technically an AKM member can't put their songs on myspace as a member of AKM.

I have done the right thing and understood my rights, changed my contract to a non-exclusive one. Now it seem's i'm worse off.

Why want AKM let me do what i thought i could do. The ASCAP contract says that my rights are non-exclusive. What business is the creative commons license that i issue for the use of my songs with ASCAP. If what AKM state here is true, its not possible to use any creative commons licenses as it was intended and be a member of any rights organizations.

I would like to fight AKM on this. Its wrong, what AKM have done.

Jamison

"your "case" has been discussed thoroughly. Our position is that in reference to the reciprocal representation agreement AKM has concluded with ASCAP we have the right to license the right of public performance of your musical works. No evidence is shown in the IPI-database that your membership agreement with ASCAP excludes live-performances. Given the fact that the membership agreement between ASCAP and its members is on a non-exclusive basis you too have the right to license the right of public performance of your musical works.

Our contracting partner is ASCAP. As long as we do not have a written information from ASCAP that we shall no longer license live-performances or public performances as a whole of your musical works we will proceed as before. So, please contact your contracting partner ASCAP.

  • [CC-at] help defend a cc license??, Jamison Young, 10/16/2008