baslinux - Re: [BL] debian install from baslin

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] debian install from baslin
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:37:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Indelible Bonobo wrote:

Thank you for your reply, Sindi.

I am quite sure Debian fits on the HD partition (500MB ext2 + 100MB
swap) as I installed it on this HD using another computer.
Unfortunately, I could not transplant the HD - perhaps the mobo reads
the HD using a different geometry - neither Grub nor Lilo could boot
Linux, though Lilo was able to boot DOS. The question is whether the
RAM is sufficient and I'm quite sure that by going this route
(building it from the ground up and not installing everything) it will
work.

How much RAM did Debian use when installed on the hard drive in another computer?

The reason why I have to keep transplating the HD is that this mobo
cannot boot a CDROM and I'm not sure whether the floppy drive is
defective or the floppy I tried had problems, but the floppy started
out as good and readable and after format is unusable, so I'd rather
not mess with floppies anymore. The Ethernet card - 3Com 3509 E III
cannot boot from the network either.

There are a lot of old laptops around newer than your P75. Do you live some place with an ecycle or freecycle group?

The problem with trying the distros you've mentioned is first - they
are very slow as they insist on booting a GUI which is probably
optimized for i686 - it takes forever to do anything in it. There
probably is a way to prevent it from loading and stay in CLI but on
the terminal few commands seem to be working and I have difficulties
finding information on how to run it via CLI, or how to install it
from DOS.

A search on "puppy linux boot to cli" suggested modifying /etc/inittab to runlevel 3 instead of 5. You could ask for other suggestions at the forum.

I was able to boot Pulp from DOS with loadlin, but it took forever and
I could not get networking up and running, which meant essentially I
was stuck.

Networking works for me with all the hardware I ever fed Puppy.

I had thought debootstrap installs /bin/bash onto the ext2 partition.
I'll look to see if I can install gpg, the keyring, sha1sum from
Slackware9 (couldn't find gpg on S4). The alternative would be to copy
the Deb CD ISO contents to the HD and start it with loadlin.

BL3 uses Slackware 4 packages, but BL2 can be upgraded to use Slackware 11 glibc and packages.

If I can install Debian, I can then upgrade Tor via apt-get from the
repos, without having to depend on someone else to update it for me.

Can you find some way to post without involving baslinux digest? It adds a lot of redundancy to your postings. I just signed up for delivery of all mails to the list.