baslinux - Re: [BL] debian install from baslin

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] debian install from baslin
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 14:15:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Indelible Bonobo wrote:

After unsuccessfully fiddling with BasLin and Puppy, I've decided to
give Debian a try. I managed to install it on another computer, but
transplanting the HD back to the P75 caused either Grub or Lilo to
miss the OS (I tried booting with both).

I then managed to regain keyboard control of the Pentium 75 and
decided to try installing Debian from Baslinux using
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en

The first error I got was no pkginfo available, so I installed perl and issued

/usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch i386 squeeze /mnt/debinst
http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian

(in the guide there's a \ between squeeze and /mnt/debinst but I
assumed that's there to suggest full line)

Here's the output of that command:

I: Retrieving InRelease
I: Failed to retrieve InRelease
I: Retrieving Release
W: Cannot check Release signature; keyring file not available
/usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
E: Cannot check sha1sum

Issuing the next command in the guide,

# LANG=C chroot /mnt/debinst /bin/bash

returns "no /bin/bash" found. I checked and the file does exist and it
is an executable (it's not even a simlink to busybox). How do I fix
this and are the W or E above in need of fixing?

BL3 comes with md5sum not sha1sum and I know nothing about keyring.
You can add Slackware 4 packages.

I think your command is looking for /bin/bash in /mnt/debinst
not in BL3.

The latest Debian is quite unlikely to fit into the amount of memory or hard drive of a P75. It may have filled the drive without installing bash.

What went wrong when you tried to install the Pulp version of Puppy?
The regular versions require at least 128MB memory (256 is much better).

Have you tried Tinycore linux? There are quite a few very small single-purpose linuxes. Blueflops (runs from two floppies), etc.