baslinux - Re: [BL] compiling TOR

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] compiling TOR
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:55:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, Indelible Bonobo wrote:

Thank you, Sindi.

I figured out how grep was installed and fixed it about 20 minutes
after posting :) (deleted the existing executable and recreated the
link to busybox in /bin with ln -s )

I thought you wanted the newer/fuller grep for something.

I tried getting more info on Pulp, but it is mostly in German. I guess
I'd have to find out through trial & error how it works, and that
wouldn't be so easy b/c this computer has the kb circuitry fried so I
have to pull out the HD and install on another computer. Also, I'm
thinking that the Tor provided in Pulp is not update-able via repos,
which would through me into the compilation dilemma again.

The info on pulp at the forum is in English. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy search on pulp
Packages for Puppy tend to be whatever the users decide to offer.
Search the forum (or a search engine) for Tor and puppy. Usually puppy packages will work with pulp, unless they require gtk > 2.0.

To install puppy copy the main .sfs file to any ext2 partition, and the kernel and initrd to a fat32 partition, and boot with loadlin. Or use lilo. Email me offlist for details. Then any changes you make go into a second file automatically when you exit.

It is important to be able to update Tor especially on an always on
machine as I plan this to be, b/c exploits, bugs and memory leaks are
discovered and corrected all the time. The kernel is otherwise quite
stable, even the old ones.

A search on puppy linux tor got me a puppy linux wika listing three versions of tor (37 38 39) from 2012, Jun Aug Sep. Someone is keeping up with it. The package manager will fetch the dependencies for you.

I will look up the archive about uclibc, but right now I'm thinking
that a better way would be to cross-compile, since I'm running linux
in other environments where compilation is not easy (e.g., my NAS). I
tried searching the archive for this but could not find much.

Let us know how it goes.

Another suggestion thrown my way was Linux from Scratch:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
Have fun with this.

Indelible Bonobo