baslinux - Re: [BL] Questions on boot BaseLinux

  • From: keesan AT SDF.ORG
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Questions on boot BaseLinux
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 13:20:50 -0000

>> >I know nothing about streaming video servers. I suggest that you ask
>> at a
>> >video streaming forum first. If you like, I can translate your
>> questions
>> >for them from Russian to English. (Email me directly, not the list).
>> Are
>> >there still a lot of 100MHz computers in use where you live?
>>
>> **** *** *** * * ** ***** * ** :-)
> * **** * ** *****. **** * ***.
>
>>You can also ask at the mplayer forum whether mplayer will stream video.
>> >Mplayer works with basiclinux to play streaming audio and video.
>> >I don't think anyone got VLC working with Basiclinux.
>>
>> **** ** ? ** * VLC **** ***** ****.** * ****** * BL
> ?
Summary of the Russian (which turned into asterisks when I did a 'reply' -
Andrey asks why use mplayer rather than VLC, which is available for linux.

My reply: Any precompiled versions will require not only a more recent
GLIBC (BL will work with up to GLIBC 2.3.6 from Slackware 11 and a 2.4
kernel) but also quite a few libraries that we don't have and which may
not be available compiled for glibc 2.3.6. Mplayer can be used
command-line and I have compiled it for BL, as have other users. It has
far fewer dependencies. It can play DVDs and streaming audio and I think
also streaming mpeg4. DVDs require at least 400MHz (with hardframedrop)
and a more recent processor than AMD K6-2 (I tried the latter - impossibly
broken up). I don't understand just what you want to do with VLC - serve
streaming video or watch it or just download files to be played on another
computer?
Try doing whatever it is on a faster computer and use 'top' to calculate
the percentage of the CPU time used by the process. If it uses 10% or
less of 1GHz it should work at 100MHz, if the video chip is fast enough
too.

I set up a 120MHz laptop as an internet radio, with an mplayer compiled
specifically for P54C - very old Pentium. It will work with about 8MB RAM
and very little CPU time.