baslinux - Re: [BL] Questions on boot BaseLinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT SDF.ORG>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Questions on boot BaseLinux
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:38:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Andrey Sharkov wrote:

Hello I have questions about the system BaseLinux, I would appreciate if
someone will help you understand them. I was interested and wanted me
BaseLinux to try it on your computer. I downloaded a dos - BaseLinux
version and uncompress it onto your hard drive. PC configuration is as
follows:
Pentium 100 mh Ram 64 mb hard disk 1 gb.
Windows 98.
No hard disk drive is divided into sections.
I previously changed boot.bat, wait a he iron the way:

loadlin c: \ baslin \ zimage root = / dev/hda1 initrd = c: \ baslin \
initfs.gz rw

The system is loaded but for some reason not to finish. Loaded up with a
description of the parameters BuseBox to run.

I think the point of these two lines:

New root is busy. Staying in initrd.
Change root to initrd /: error - 16

Do you think this the case?

I think you are saying that you did not make a second partition (ext2 file system) for basiclinux but just downloaded the DOS-version file and unzipped it in c:\baslin. The modified boot.bat file that you used is for use with basiclinux that has been installed to a separate partition on your hard drive (hda1 - which is probably your Windows 98 partition).

Try booting as follows:

cd \baslin
loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initrd.gz rw

If you know how to shrink Win98 to make free space for a second partition, you could then make a linux ext2 partition and install to it and boot with a different boot.bat. That can give you more space for linux, otherwise you have only 20MB.

loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda2 rw

/dev/hda2 would be the second partition. This method of running linux does not need the initrd.

I know Russian - if you have trouble explaining your problem in English you can write in Russian, but I don't write it very well.

Sindi Keesan