baslinux - Re: [BL] Best mplayer

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Best mplayer
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:57:09 +0000 (UTC)

flv was apparently added no later than March 5 2006
and uses libavformat which I don't have.

Slackware 11 (March 2006) did not come with aacp support.

AACP (aacplus) requires faad2 which I could not get to compile with SW11 gcc. Version 2-2.7 (2009), which comes with a configure file, would configure but not make: Unrecognized command line option "-iquote" - might want a newer compiler or newer glibc.

The 2006 and 2004 versions require autoreconf, which requires perl which I would rather not stuff onto my computer. I copied over the configure from the latest version and a bunch of other required files, but now make does not work - wants aclocal-1.9 which is part of automake. These packages both have a lot of files in them. Things have become too automated.

AACP is supported starting with mplayer 1.0pre8 (June 2006), which is found in pulp linux and works with aacp and ogg. Ogg requires a few libraries which SW11 has, but I may not bother since I found no stations that broadcast only ogg. Many stations now ONLY broadcast AACP, but most of them did not work for me with lynx and mplayer. XXXX.mp3.m3u just flashed something briefly on the screen. aacp is a subset of mp3, apparently. One of the listen.pls links did work.

One of the two AMD-K5-2 laptops won't boot pulp but does boot DSL linux, which does not have mplayer but does have libogg and libvorbis. No faad.
There is a 100MB April 2006 DSL linux NOT with 2.6 kernel and gtk2.

Tinycore linux has a Feb 2010 Mplayer nodeps (probably needs their glibc) 4.5MB compressed.

Computers fast enough to play FLV should work with Ron's mplayer.
He suggested using DOS on the older ones.

Re dialup internet radio:

Wikipedia has a full (non-PDF) list of all the NPR stations but you need to follow a link to each station and then hunt for the home page.
(http://www.capsteps.com/radio has broken links but is much quicker to use). Outside of the few large cities (Fairbanks, Anchorage) the stations mostly broadcast at dialup speeds to the 'Alaskan Bush'. Many Bulgarian stations also offer both dialup and broadband broadcasts.