baslinux - Re: [BL] 560x cs4237B OSS sound in BL2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] 560x cs4237B OSS sound in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 18:01:25 +0000 (UTC)

mpg123 and mplayer (offline) play mp3s properly.

Online mpg123 plays mp3s much too fast at all but one radio station.

The station which works with mpg123 is 44100Hz (44K), the others 22K.

The laptop has mono sound. Perhaps this is causing the problem?
It is the sample rate.

mpg123 -h 2 file.mp3 adjusts to half speed offline, but does not do anything useful when used online with wget and a script which feeds it to mpg123. Fiddling with the numbers only makes it worse.

The solution, if you have broadband and don't need to buffer, is to use mpg123 directly without a script.

mpg123 http://........
(I don't have a working mms URL to try this with).

-------------------

mplayer plays one of two oggs properly (44K) and one too fast (22K)
It plays a 11K wav file at about 4X correct speed. The solution:

mplayer -srate 44100 file.ogg mplayer -srate 44100 minutewaltz.wav plays it in one minute not 15 sec

You can see that is is being played at 44100 instead of 11025 or 22050.

HOW TO PLAY WAV FILES ONLINE???

mplayer (0.93 or 1 dev) crashes on this older laptop, online.

sox play does not even work offline at the right speed.

play -r 44100 file.wav says it is playing at 44100 but does not play any slower, and I get an error message that I am probably out of disk space to which to write a sample file. I have 1GB free.

Since mplayer does not work online, I want to use play to listen to wav files (voicemail).

timidity -t 75 file.mid (for this particular file?)
There is no indication of sample rate.