baslinux - [BL] 560x cs4237B OSS sound in BL2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] 560x cs4237B OSS sound in BL2
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:25:48 +0000 (UTC)

insmod soundcore
[for 2.2 kernel also insmod soundlow]
insmod sound
insmod ad1848
insmod uart401
[for FM synthesis insmod opl3 io=0x388 - I did not try it]
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0
[for midi port optionally append also mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9]

You may need to run aumix to increase sound levels after this.

mplayer-uclibc (0.93) crashes online. Bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
(I did not try a later non-uclibc version). This happens on most of my older laptops.

mpg123 and mplayer (offline) play mp3s properly.

I can listen to various radio stations using mpg123 and a script.
wget -O - http://... | mpg123 -
(also works with mms: URLs)

timidity -T 75 file.mid - otherwise it plays midis too fast
-T adjusts tempo to the percentage following.

play (sox) and mplayer (non-uclibc, mplayer1) play .wav files much too fast. How can I adjust the tempo? The minute waltz turned into about a 10 second squeal. Ditto for ogg files.

This CS4237B chip is a challenge on this and other thinkpads in all linuxes, especially with alsa. I got puppy linux sound working on one of three thinkpads with this chip, which took hours of research, and BL sound on all of them relatively easily.

Sindi Keesan