baslinux - [BL] lynx 2.8.8 and kernel 2.6 for BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] lynx 2.8.8 and kernel 2.6 for BL
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 16:33:17 +0000 (UTC)

I compiled lynx 2.8.8 dev1 a while back (for 2.2.5?) and it has two bugs when used in basiclinux (glibc 2.2.5 or 2.3.6):

lynx.lss is set to show red on black, but it displays blue on black (the current link) which is not very readable

persistent cookies do not work (for logging in to fastmail.fm).

I just copied over /usr/local/bin/lynx and /usr/local/etc/lynx.lss and lynx.cfg to pulp linux (a version of puppy that boots into Xvesa and jwm without icons in 13MB RAM, and can do framebuffer console if you make minor modifications), and it works without these bugs there. Presumably I could just install my packages (with tar -zxvf, then run the script, since I doubt installpkg works in puppy linux).

So something in the environment of BL is causing problems, maybe glibc itself. Or the kernel. (What else might it be?). To upgrade glibc past Slackware 11 (2.3.6) I think I need a 2.6 kernel. I was unable to compile one that works. Slackware 11 provides 2.6 kernels, but I can't find 2.6 modules for Slackware 11 - do we need to compile them from the config file provided? Did I miss something?

BL2 will boot with a 2.6 kernel. The modules from Puppy linux are .ko - are those from Slackware 11 also .ko? If so, do we insert them differently from .o modules?

I have had problems compiling other programs which might be solved by using a 2.6 kernel too. Can't get any gtk2 programs working either. I would much prefer to keep using BL rather than pulp but a lot of websites don't work with seamonkey 1 or Opera 9. Opera 10 and 11 may require a later X (which would in turn maybe need a later glibc). Can't get Flash 9 working, etc.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] lynx 2.8.8 and kernel 2.6 for BL, baslinux, 03/14/2011