baslinux - [BL] GTK-1.2 programs

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] GTK-1.2 programs
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 03:23:36 +0000 (UTC)

I just installed and read forum postings for a Puppy Linux derivative Pulp 0.10 (fast light puppy) which uses mostly gtk-1.2 programs. Since they are compiled for glibc 2.6 we can't just borrow them, but some of them might be worth compiling for BL.

xnview image viewer
supposedly quite fast, but I did not try it.

The forum mentioned
SUE - simple unix editor, based on the DOS VDE wordprocessor, available as a binary sue.zip or source sue07.tgz.
wordgrinder - CLI wordprocessor that exports text, HTML, or LaTeX.

pulp uses Firefox 2.2 gtk-1.2.
It boots into X (Xvesa) with about 20MB RAM - how much does BL2 take?

I managed to get Firefox 3 and Chrome 10 working in Puppy 4.31 (gtk 2) and they used about 200-250MB memory each, don't know how. Far more than in Windows (40-60MB). So not suited for older laptops even if BL could be made to work with gtk2 programs. If you want to be able to access ALL websites with linux you will need at least 256MB RAM. Or maybe a bit less with Opera 11 (which used more RAM than Firefox 3 in XP). Opera 10 uses the same amount as Seamonkey 1.1.18 so would still be useful for BL. But it may need X11R7.

Sindi Keesan