baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config for S3 Savage/IX video (2005-2008?)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config for S3 Savage/IX video (2005-2008?)
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:00:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Follow-up on an older post.
Just could not find when exactly previous posting to BasLinux posting
to Archives was submitted.

--- begin quote ---
then you can load Xfbdev for libc5
from David Moberg (http://keesan.freeshell.org/xfbdev.gz)
or if that segfaults, use the one from Xorg which is at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/Xfbdev-glibc21.gz
(gunzip it into /usr/X11R6/bin) - 397K download. You will
also need glibc2 (try operalib.tgz at my site) for this later
version.

This is the glibc 2.1 version used by BL2 (it will work with glibc 2.1 or anything later) and BL3 uses not glibc2 but libc5 C libraries. Between Slackware 4 and 7 they switched libc.

Tried all the suggestions this current iteration and now keep getting a
xinit: can't load library 'libX11.so.6' error

It is looking for the glibc2-based libX11.so.6, while you have the libc5 version in BL3. ldd Xfbdev will probably give you the same info - the library it needs is not on your computer. Do not try to upgrade X to glibc2 - it is complicated. Use the correct Xfbdev for libc5. I posted two of them.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/Xtinyx-480-libc5.tgz
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/xfbdev.gz (needs only libm.so.5 - David may have compiled it statically against uclibc instead of libc5)

David's xfbdev segfaults on my Gateway Solo with neomagic (bugs were fixed in the 4.80 version, the latest) but works on my other laptops. It is about 1MB. You can try both and let us know RAM usage. Type 'free' to analyze it.

I have a 250MHz Savage IX laptop working with BL2 and framebuffer graphics. (But not with Xorg in Puppy Linux - it has some problem such that it works from live CD but not from hard drive). Xvesa does NOT work with this video chip, nor, I think, does SVGA X server. Search the archives for Toshiba Satellite Pro, Savage, and framebuffer.

Framebuffer X will be the same resolution that you booted into with the framebuffer kernel. (Try my bzimlafb 2.4 kernel, or Steven's 'big' kernel 2.2 if you don't need USB storage support). At boot time, append to loadlin or lilo vga=785 (for 640), vga=788 (800), vga=790 or 791 (1024) and it will also give you nicer looking text (and more of it at the higher resolutions). DVDs play best at 800x600. mplayer -vo fbdvd....

I posted a 2-floppy version of BL with a framebuffer kernel and xfbdev (and some wireless modules). Read blfiles.htm for more info.
bl3fdfb.tgz is the 2-floppy version and bl3fbpkg.tgz should contain what you need to run BL3 framebuffer from hard drive.

Sindi Keesan