baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 84, Issue 1

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 84, Issue 1
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 01:09:51 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Thanks for the assistance on this!

Works okay now appending vga=791 in loadlin for 1024x768 res, using
the kernel zimagefb.226 from http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26 ,
using package bl3fbpkg.tgz from http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.2.26
and editing a combination XF65Config file :)

65???

Does this kernel still work with Steven's modules? If not, use his
'big' kernel.

Congratulations on getting my complicated instructions to work,
in such a short time!

I don't think you need ANY XF86Config file for either Xvesa or Xfbdev,
just for a standard X server. X will load in the same resolution
as the console that you booted to.

Try renaming it to XF86Config-bak and see if things still work.

Combination of the XF86Config suggested by Steven at
http://www.spack.org/geek/thinkpad-t20-xf86config.txt and that of
Sindi at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.laptops
** /etc/XF86Config **
Device set to "/dev/psaux"
HorizSync set to 30-90
VertRefresh set to 50-100

I don't think laptops actually have that large a range.
LCD monitors seem to do 60 and 72 vertical refresh.

If you load X with a standard X server it may tell you what
the actual frequencies are. (On another laptop, of course).

All sub-76 Hz 1024x768 Modelines used in Section "Monitor"just as
listed at the former t20-xf86config.txt.
Driver "xbdev" used in Section "Screen" just as listed at the latter
XF86Config.laptops.

I think this was just a modification of Steven's no-xvesa.tgz file
which went to higher resolution than 800. But not needed for
framebuffer X.

See instructions at http://keesan.freeshell.org/blfiles.htm

Let me know if something does not work
described her[e] and in my instructions at my site.

Had to navigate in spirals to find things both at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/files.htm and at
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/ , but eventually got what was needed.

blfiles.htm not files.htm

Did my links in blfiles.htm to the actual files not work?
I wrote this up in a hurry this morning to help you so let me know
if something is broken. A kind list member went through a while
back and listed all the broken links but I make new (broken) ones.

Links works great in X, can try to upgrade this to another non-Opera
browser via Sindi's recommendations, mc is perfectly fine as a file

DO NOT try to upgrade BL3 to glibc 2.3.6 to run Firefox or Seamonkey in BL3. I broke BL3 X when I upgraded glibc to 2.3.6. Or try at your own risk but keep a backup of your BL3 setup in another place (tar -zcvf backup.tgz *). To use bigger browsers start with BL2 (glibc) not BL3.
(I probably posted the details of what went wrong - search the archives for BL3 glibc 2.3.6 update....)

manager, and can try to get emacs up and working.
Ready to finally knock out Windows 98 from this laptop, .so thanks!

Win98 is helpful for testing hardware (such as video).