baslinux - Re: [BL] New MPlayer to try ...

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New MPlayer to try ...
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:04:25 +1000

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 02:43:40 +0000 (UTC), baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>> Hi Folks,

>> As there has been some disussion about playing .flv video in BL, I
>> have had a go at compiling an up-to-date MPlayer.

>> For those who want to try an updated MPlayer:

>> http://www.ausreg.com/bl/bl3/readme.htm ... bottom entry.

> Please rename the package to include the mplayer version.

Will have a go. :)
When I boot into BL. Later.

It is a snapshot version:
/mplayer-export-snapshot/mplayer-export-2010-02-10/

>> It is a BIG download - just over 12 MB - but includes all libaries,
>> so NO dependencies. Compiled in SW9.1.

> I think SW8.1 gcc and glibc did not work for compiling a recent version.
> Thanks for making this available.

>> Will play .flv files.

> Does it work as Seamonkey/Firefox plugin to play flv and/or youtube?

Don't know. I don't have Seamonkey, and I wouldn't add a static version
as a plug-in for Firefox. I did this specificaly for use in BL.
The first time ever attempting to compile a static anything.
Consider it a "proof of process" as it were. :)

In my other Linuxes I compile only dynamic versions of MPlayer.

>> Might be a good idea to back-up your existing MPlayer - just in case this
>> one turns out to be buggy.

> Is the binary itself 12MB? David Moberg's binary is 7.6MB but it
> compressed smaller.

It is the binary. Nothing else. As I said, I haven't tried to trim it
in any way except disabling the GUI. Understand, I am in uncharted
waters here - I am feeling my way.

I would guess that someone who knows what is needed and what is not
needed could reduce the size of the binary. And if someone clever wants
to do that, I wouldn't mind a bit.

But I have found that previous versions of MPlayer for BL did have
some bugs, so hopefully this one will perform better.

> (netpbm is misspelled netpbn at your site but the link is correct)

Just fixed that, thanks.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.