baslinux - Re: [BL] Gateway 2000 solo Xfbdev problem (Neomagic)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Gateway 2000 solo Xfbdev problem (Neomagic)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:46:04 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote:

I also boot with the framebuffer kernel (bzimlznv) because it
produces nicer-looking text on this computer, and more lines and columns.

This very small kernel (620K) omitted something essential which broke USB storage (won't mount), and the lsfu kernel (with regular video plus fb) has broken pcmcia (read-write file systems, says cardmgr) so I have compiled two more laptop kernels instead. With gcc 2.95.3 to match existing modules, but glibc 2.3.6 (makes them 20K larger but they occupy no more memory).

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimlafb.431 634K
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimlsfb.431 673K

Compiling against glibc 2.2.5 would probably reduce their size 20K.

Both have framebuffer and regular VGA video, USB, but the first has only module sound support and the second built-in sound including SB (you must still insmod sb with the relevant parameters for ESS sb-emulating sound chips in 2.4 kernels). For laptops to 233MHz without CD burners - for newer ones use smf kernel.

Tested working with pcmcia and usb storage in BL3.50.

opl3sa2.o needed for Yamaha opl3 sa2 sound cards refuses to compile as a module in 2.4.31. Maybe it will compile built in, similar to some other drivers (for PDA).

Used by computers with Neomagic sound - Gateway and I think DELL and maybe Hitachi. Most of my laptops have ESS sb-type sound.

There is a neomagic framebuffer driver that I have not tried. vesafb works, once you install the no-xvesa package to fix a bug with fonts.