baslinux - Re: [BL] module for ethestreamer ibm in bl

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] module for ethestreamer ibm in bl
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:30:59 +0000 (UTC)

Salve,
I am writing about the possibility of a 2.4.31 kernel (based on Slackware
11) version of BL which I desume from recent threads (if I understood
correctly).

I posted a bunch of smaller 2.4.31 kernels along with modules.
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 -kernels and modules
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm - explanation

Here are some notes from my experience (as a newbie and a user) for your
consideration (simply ignore all that if it is out of the topic).
I use pc for office work: a text editor, a program for manipulating images,
a browser, an e-mail program, a pdf reader, a html editor. Most of the
resources are required for internet browsing.
Some years ago I discovered BL which I found perfect to introduce a newbie
to linux and to use on old pc (BTW thank you all for your assistance and
support).
I recently found at the local area where they trash old pc an IBM pentium1
199Mhz, 32 Mb Ram 2,1 gb HD.
I wanted to use also with our usb printer.
Just to test I installed Slackware 10.2 (2.4.31 kernel) with all the
packages except kde and latex (it took 1about 1.5 Gb of disk space), fwvm
as a window manager. It is
slow but it works.

Abiword takes half a minute to load;
Sylpheed is fine;
links both rext and graphic is very fast;
firefox (version 1.7... if I am wright) could not even load and I removed
the package.

I found some place a Firefox 1.5.0.7. There is no 1.7.

Firefox 1.5.0.12 which Steven found works with BL2 and a glibc 2.3.6 update (Slackware 11). So does Seamonkey 1.1.15 gtk1, which I know does NOT work with a glibc 2.3.2 update (Slackware 9.1). You also need libgcc_s.so.1 and libstdc++.so... (5 for Seamonkey, 6 for Firefox). I posted these libraries at my site (from Slackware 11, 9.1 and 11 - take off the -SWxx before use. Or use all SW11 libraries. (You might need to add gtk libraries too to BL).

I download opera 9.64:
it works very slowly but it works (I also tried to view google maps, it
took
about 4 minutes to the maximum zoom but I could view).

Opera 8.54 uses less memory. Slackware wastes memory running unused processes that BL does not start.

These are my conclusions:
a BL version with a 2.4.31 kernel (from Slacware 10.2 or 11) would be much
appreciated and useful providing a light, fast and small system for pc
pentium1 (or higher) with 32/128 Mb Ram. I may suppose that more powerful pc
(pentium1 or 2 with 128Mb Ram or more) could satisfactorily run also with a
Slackware 10.2 or 11 without kde but even in these cases such a version of
BL would be useful in terms of lightness, speed and to save disk space.

The current BL2 works fine with 2.4.31 kernel, and a glibc update lets you use Firefox and Seamonkey (and Opera). I used BL2 on a 200MHz computer for a while. Compiling a kernel took 20 minutes.

Best regards

Giuseppe