baslinux - Re: [BL] Firefox

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Firefox
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:43:11 +0000 (UTC)

I see no way to toggle images off and on,

That option is on the CONTENT page.

In Opera you use a couple of keystrokes, or the View, Images menu, or some icon near the page top. Firefox is less convenient.

or to load just one image in the main page.

You also have the option of displaying only
images only from the main page.

I don't understand what you mean here.

How much more memory does Firefox 3 require
than 1.5?

For starters, Firefox 3 requires GTK2.
GTK1 has a significantly smaller footprint.

How much RAM difference?

I read that 2 takes 50-100% more than 3.

Yes, Firefox 2 is bigger and slower than Firefox 1.5.
From what I've heard, Firefox 3 is much faster than
Firefox 2, but unfortunately Firefox 3 does not have
the GTK1 option.

Would it work with Slackware 11 libraries and
enough cpu and RAM?

Do you mean the official Firefox 3 binary for Linux?
According to mozilla.com, you need: I have in SW11
-------------------------------- * 256 MB of RAM 1GB
* 100 MB of free disk space 1GB
* glibc 2.3.2 or higher 2.3.6 * fontconfig (also known as xft) not found
* libstdc++5 6.0.3
* GTK+ 2.10 or higher libgtk-1.2 libgtk-x11-2.0
* GLib 2.12 or higher 2.0.so.0.1000.3
* Pango 1.14 or higher 1.0.so.0.1201.3
* X.Org 1.0 or higher ? libX11.so.6.2

Even Slackware 11 would need later libraries. Where did you find them?
BL3 would need a rather large upgrade package!

Firefox 3.04 works in Win2K in 64MB RAM, tolerably fast.
Sindi