baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:32:59 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

How exactly do you log in as root and start
in X and exit without rebooting?.

Edit tty1 line in /etc/inittab:
--------------------------------
tty1::respawn:-/bin/sh -c startx
--------------------------------
If "respawn" doesn't do what you
want, try "once".

What different effects should these have?

What do the two shutdown lines mean?

Those are the actions that are performed
following CTRLALTDEL. Swap is turned off
and partitions are unmounted.

Where is the swap partition turned on during boot?
(swapfiles don't seem to be included)

Note the /sbin/reboot on the ctrlaltdel
line. That reboots the system. If you
prefer that the system shutdown without
rebooting, change reboot to halt.

halt is busybox and the only switch is -d
I tried halt -d 1 (when chrooted to BL35) and nothing happened.
I was going to put 'halt' on the menu.

For more information on configuring
/etc/inittab, do: man init

I don't understand much of this (yet).

busybox init doesn't support multiple runlevels (which I think is how I had BL starting in X before). It takes no parameters. ... The runlevels field is completely ignored.

id:runlevels:action:process

BL350: why :: not id: ?
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot - change to halt?
::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a - how does it know what swap is?
::shutdown:/sbin/umount -a -r 2>/dev/null (unmount all
partitions nonverbosely?). How does 'shutdown' work without a shutdown?
::restart:/sbin/init - what does this do?
Valid actions are: sysinit, respawn, askfirst, wait, once, and ctrlaltdel.

ctrlaltdel actions are run immediately before init causes the system to reboot (does this mean you cannot halt instead?).

The adduser package appears to have changed things so you need to type root not Enter to activate a console. How do I change this back and also go directly to X?

This computer will probably leave as is but there may be more Russian news readers requested. Ideally one should start automatically in X and be able to halt/shutdown from the menu rather than reboot.