baslinux - Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] aol mail with BL3.5 at 100Mhz/24MB
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:39:18 +0000 (UTC)

Would Win98 run better in 24MB than BL3.5 does? I could ask him to use it
only for email.

Oh sorry, I thought XP was an option (misread that). Windows 98 probably
won't do much better -- I've used Win98 on a Compaq Presario 5070 with
28MB RAM (4MB was eaten by the video card) and it was unbearably slow.
And in terms of security, Windows 98 is a nightmare.

Also it took me a few hours to get it working with a Linksys card (ndiswrapper only in linux) by manually entering IP settings.

I have one cardbus wireless card, D-Link 650+, which worked in XP but not
in 98 (ipconfig /renew_all did not find my nearby wireless router).

I've used D-Link DWL-G650 cards successfully with kernels 2.4.31 and up.

The DWL-G650 is around 17$ on Amazon.

Someone just gave me a 'working'- one (XP sees a card but not the one I downloaded the G650 driver for). I compiled ath_pci.o but insmod lists unresolved symbols ieee... etc. I first used pcmcia start to insert the usual modules, then manually inserted cb_enabler.o, then ath_pci.o. Should I put this all into pcmcia config instead?

The other card acted the same either way. pci=biosirq during boot did not help fix the IRQ problem.