baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeBasic on BasicLinux

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeBasic on BasicLinux
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 10:08:56 +0000 (GMT)

Where did you get the Linux version of freebasic?
Did it come as source code (that needs compiling).
Or is it a pre-compiled executable?  If it is a
pre-compile executable, what are its dependencies?
I downloaded it at http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/download , the linux standalone version.
It is a pre-compiled file: source is available, but since it is self-compiling, I cannot recompile until I get the executable to work.
Since FBC runs, it doesn't seem to be a problem of dependencies.

> since GCC and other compilers, using "as" assembler,
> are available on baslinux,

The default library in BL3 is libc5.  The GCC that
runs on BL3 is a libc5 version (from Slackware 4.0
which is also based on libc5).  If you have a pre-
compiled executable of freebasic, it was probably
compiled on glibc2 (a larger, more-up-to-date library)
and has glibc2 dependencies.  Executables with glibc2
dependencies will not run on BL3 (unless you upgrade
the libraries).
I upgraded them, as described on http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/library.html