baslinux - [BL] netrik 1.15.8 for glibc 2.2.5

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] netrik 1.15.8 for glibc 2.2.5
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 18:40:12 +0000 (UTC)

I posted an earlier version before (1.0.1?). This is from Sept. 2008.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/netrik-1.15.8-glibc225.tgz

About 75K (stripped not upxed) binary plus two files that I converted from man to html format so you can read them with netrik.

Uses wget for ftp downloads and gzip to unzip html files.
Dependencies include libgpm and libncurses.so.5 (which is about 250K).

Very quick for reading html documentation, worked at my website to list and download files. Links-ssl is much better for online (and bigger).
Netrik is text-only (no clicking on image names to display them).

netrik URL or after loading netrik :e /URL to access a website

Used on my TTL or VGA (!) monitor in console mode, netrik "can't get color capabilities - starting in monochrome mode".

It suggests that I start it with the option --monochrome. When I do that, it tells me unrecognized option "--monochrome".

Bold does not display on either monitor in console mode.

Displays color when used in an rxvt. Current link is indicated in color (in console mode only by a blinking cursor).

Use Ctrl-H Ctrl-J Ctrl-K Ctrl-L keys to navigate,
or netrik --cursor-keys to use arrow keys.

Tab to the next link. See docs for other keystrokes.

No cookies or ssl.

I can't find any way to use a search engine.

Will not access my library website www.aadl.org - says it does not exist.
(It exists for lynx).

You can start it with an option not to list HTML errors.
www.alltheweb.com has 'heavy HTML syntax errors'.

To get help, while in netrik, use the html version of the man pages that I created with man2html. (The source code came with html and text versions of instructions for hacking but not html versions of man pages).

The website is not spelled very carefully. Prompt and promt.

At this stage, a curiosity, unless you only want to read documentation, in an rxvt or without bold, and have libncurses already. They plan to add stylesheets and javascript some day.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] netrik 1.15.8 for glibc 2.2.5, baslinux, 10/08/2008