baslinux - Re: [BL] Laptop framebuffer video, was Re: laptop sound

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Laptop framebuffer video, was Re: laptop sound
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:29:28 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimlsfu.431
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/conflsfu.431

A 656K slightly smaller laptop kernel with USB storage, sb sound, and framebuffer support. vfat built-in instead of modular. loop modular, no ramdisk. (Use with ext2 not loop or ramdisk BL).

The lsbf kernel is 672K. It has modular vfat. I like vfat because you can copy long-file-name linux files to DOS-formatted USB pen drives or floppy disks.

Compiled with help from a linux expert who stopped by for ripe pawpaws.

We omitted BSD Process Accounting, Sysctl Support (used to create /proc/sys) and System V IPC (used by DOSEMU) and everything still seems to work.

*******
Steven, why did you include these other than for DOSEMU?
*******

We considered omitting VGA console but then you cannot ever boot without vesafb to use svgalib.

See http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31 for new modules.

loop.o for the smaller kernel.

parport_pc.o-1284, an improved parport_pc.o which supports IEEE 1284 ECP and EPP printer such as my Laserjet 6L and is supposed to be faster than the default. I usually have to wait at least 30 sec for a page to start printing with the old module.

He said to omit all the sub-categories under USB-storage because nobody ever uses them any more. (Like older CD-ROM drivers).

usb-storage.o-small is 32K and can be renamed and replace the original 56K usb-storage.o

Sindi Keesan