baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 wireless networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 wireless networking
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:58:41 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================

I recently purchased several Orinoco Gold
wireless cards (for $2 each) and tried them
out on BL3. They performed very nicely.

This type of card was very common a few years
ago and appeared under many different names:
Compaq WL110, IBM Wireless LAN Card, Araya,
Buffalo, Agere, Lucent, Dell Trumobile 1150,
Enterasys Roamabout, Proxim, etc. Orinoco
Silver is the same card, but it does less
encryption.

How do you know if you have a Silver or a Gold?

I have a DELL Truemobile 1158 with the same manfid, which just worked in BL3.4 (kernel 2.2.26) and BL2 (2.4.31) with wvlan_cs. (I also had a dead SOHO with the same manfid).

Slackware 7.1 pcmcia config file does not even list Truemobile, and the only card listed with that manfid is an Intersil PRISM2 for which they bind orinoco_cs (even though I could not get it to work with a 2.2 kernel, which Slackware 7.1 comes with).

According to the internet, this manfid is used by:
Netgear MA410TX
Netgear MA401 (but not the MA401RA, which comes in the same box)
Buffalo AirStation
Sony Wavelan PCGW-100 (a repackaged lucent)
MELCOM WLI-PCM_LII
INM Hi Rate Wireless Intersil PRISM2 and some Toshiba laptops with builtin wireless

wvlan_cs is also said to work with D-Link DCF-650W (but NOT 660W) - manfid 0xd601, 0x0002
Cabletron RoamAbout 802.11 DS
ELSA AirLancer MC-11
NCR WaveLAN/IEEE (but use wavelan_cs for the non-IEEE model)

These should all work with orinoco_cs as well, using kernel 2.4.
My Truemobile does.

My Linksys v 3 and Microsoft MN-520, with different id's, work with orinoco_cs (kernel 2.4) but not wvlan_cs (initialization failed).

Wireless tools

iwconfig tells me it is in managed mode (the default - linked to my wireless router), and also lists ESSID (so does iwgetid) and Nickname.

Like orinoco_cs, wvlan_cs does not support iwlist.
airo_cs does - you can list access points in the area and choose one (handy if you are trying for a weak signal).

The other iw* tools do not work for me - iwspy, iwpriv, iwevent - but maybe I don't know how to use them.

-----------------------
card "Orinoco Wireless"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "wvlan_cs"
-----------------------

Then I used ifconfig and iwconfig to set
the parameters for the wireless connection:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4
iwconfig eth0 essid "BLnet" channel 4 enc 1234567ABC

udhcpc, ping, and access via browser worked with my wireless router.
I did not check encryption.

Last year, I compiled a version of iwconfig
(and other wireless tools) for BL3 and uploaded
it to the BL3 site. The package is still there:
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/wireless.tgz
The tools are not very user-friendly, but they
do appear to work.

Which tools worked for you?

Thanks for proving that some orinoco cards do work with wvlan_cs.