baslinux - Re: [BL] ld.so.conf and /usr/local/lib

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ld.so.conf and /usr/local/lib
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:46:02 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Did you execute ldconfig afterwards?

Yes, that is the first thing I checked.

ran ldconfig, and moved libvga.so.* (cp -a) from
/usr/lib/ to /usr/local/lib, and zgv could no
longer find libvga.so.1 until I moved them back
to /usr/lib.

You should run ldconfig *after* moving the library.

I did that too.
Does ldconfig do anything other than make symlinks?
I had copied all the symlinks with cp -a.

The error message is that zgv cannot find libvga.so.1, which exists in /usr/local/lib and is symlinked to libvga.so.1.9.25 which also exists there.

man ldconfig suggests using environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH - would this be in /etc/profile and what exactly would the line look like in order to add /usr/local/lib?

I added to /etc/profile on the analogy of the PATH= line
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib"
and logged out and in again but no help.

ld.so.cache includes a list of libraries in /lib /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib and even /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1 (all of which were already in ld.so.cache) but not /usr/local/lib, which I added at the beginning of ld.so.cache - am I missing some step?